Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Tole Trays


Tole painting began in the 1700's in the School of Art in the UK. The original form of one stroke painting was used to paint metal trays, which is what I have in my personal collection shown here. True tole painting , painted on metal, is generally bright and colorful flowers, this is what I am attracted to in my collection of trays from the 1940's and 1950's. I do have a couple of card trays, these were trays from years gone by, that were placed on foyer tables to collect calling cards from those who stopped to visit.Wonderful antiques, tole trays are. Do you collect antiques or wish you did?

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I love, love, love these trays! A friend of mine wanted to re-do her entry way and was looking for a large piece (or two) of stained glass. We ran across two wonderful tole trays in Round Top and quickly changed gears. Hers are different colors, but the flowers are all similar. We ended up with 8 trays and they look wonderful. I will have to show her yours that are all black. Beautiful!
Denis

Anonymous said...

Beautiful trays!

Free Art Printables said...

I love tole trays I have a green one and just adore it!

Follow Me!